For up-to-date information on travel to London (including the latest on safety and security, health issues, local laws and customs), contact your home government’s department of foreign affairs. Most have websites with useful advice for would-be travellers. For information on travelling to the United Kingdom from within the European Union, including details of visa regulations and healthcare provision, see europa.eu/travel
About 30 miles south of central London.
- The Gatwick Express rail service (www.gatwickexpress.com) runs to Victoria station, and takes 30 mins. Tickets cost £16.90 for a single or £28.80 for a return.
- Southern (southernrailway.com) also runs a rail service between Gatwick and Clapham Junction/Victoria, with trains every 5-10 mins. It takes about 35 mins, and costs £10.90 for a single or £21.80 for a return
- A taxi into town costs round £50-£90
About 15 miles west of central London.
- The Heathrow Express train service (www.heathrowexpress.com) runs to Paddington approximately every 15 mins and takes 15-20 mins. Tickets cost £16.50 for a single or £32 for a return.
- The Heathrow Connect rail service (www.heathrowconnect.com) runs to Paddington every half-hour and takes 25 mins. A single costs £6.90; a return costs £13.80.
- The tube ride on the Piccadilly Line into central London takes around an hour. Trains run every few minutes. A single in £4.
- National Express (www.nationalexpress.com) runs coaches to Victoria every 20-30 mins. It takes 90 mins and cost £4 each way.
- A taxi into town will cost roughly £50-£90
London City Airport
About 9 miles east of central London
- The Docklands Light Railway (DLR) runs to London City Airport. The journey to Bank station in the City takes around 20 mins, and the fare is £4.
- A taxi costs around £30 to central London; less to the City or to Canary Wharf
About 35 miles north-east of central London
- Stansted Express trains (www.stanstedexpress.com) leave every 15-45 mins to Liverpool Street station. The journey time is 40-45 mins; a single is £18, and a return is £26.
- The Airbus coach service to Victoria (www.nationalexpress.com) takes at least 80 mins. Coaches run roughly every 30 mins: it costs £10 for a single or £17 for a return.
- A taxi to London is about £80
Great Western Railway
- Great Western Railway (GWR) provides high speed, commuter, regional and branch line train services. We help over 100 million passengers reach their destinations every year – across South Wales, the West Country, the Cotswolds, and large parts of Southern England.
- Great Western Railway London hub is London Paddington station accessible by Tube on the District, Circle, Hammersmith & City, Bakerloo lines and many TfL bus routes.
- Book early on GWR.com or GWR App to get the best fares, no booking fee, collect Nectar Points.
Avanti West Coast
- Avanti West Coast run the fastest trains out of London Euston to serve the UK’s biggest towns and cities along the West Coast Main Line. Frequent services mean you can reach your destination safely and in next to no time with a choice of Standard, our new Standard Premium or First Class travel.
If not the easiest, certainly the cheapest way to get into London from Heathrow is using the Tube. Three Piccadilly line stations serve the airport: one for Terminals 1, 2 and 3, another for Terminal 4, and a third for Terminal 5. Trains run to/from Heathrow from 5am through to 11.45pm. You can pick up your Oyster card at the station; it’ll cost £5 to get into the city and take about one hour.